Tuesday 12 December 2017

Santa World: Dusty's Tale (1991?)




I doubt anyone reading this has ever seen or ever heard of this TV movie. There is nothing online about it except for it being on Youtube. However I'm sure you've all actually seen the characters from it before without realising it. They all feature in Shakin' Stevens' music video for Merry Christmas Everyone from 1991.




It is a Swedish movie set in Santa World in Mora, a place you can actually visit.


Dusty's Tale tells the story of Dusty the Snowman, a snowman (obviously) with a stammer who is built by children in the winter but melts in the spring. This is very lonely.



He wishes to find Santa as there is a legend among snowmen that he can grant eternal life. He runs into a snow queen randomly who listens to his sorry tale and with her magic powers freezes him for one summer, but after that he's on his own.

I just want to point out now that the Dusty costume is shit. It's really shit. His eyes are just foam or paper which don't move, and later in the movie they're replaced with sad eyes. It's like stop animation, but not.


So Dusty spends his summer fucking around playing with children like an adult who lacks the social skills to interact with other adults so hangs around with small children instead. Somehow he manages to forget to look for Santa, so ends up looking for him on Christmas Eve. Yep, it's almost as easy to forget as forgetting to buy milk. If he doesn't get Santa to grant him life on Christmas Day it will be too late.


When he does go looking for Santa though, Santa is a dick and spends the whole movie running and hiding from him.


Then at the very end just turns up like, "Na I was just fucking with you". Santa is harsh. You're a dick Santa.


Upon watching the movie recently I completely forgot how creepy Santa is. Not only does he have cameras in his house so he can watch the children playing, but he just looks like a creep. He's not Santa Claus, he's pedo Clause. That's definitely how it looks.


However, I loved this movie as a child (and I was probably the only one who did and had even seen it) and even though I've now realised how creepy and shit it is, I still love it. Once again, it makes me reminisce on my childhood and now I can't get the theme song out of my head.



Check it out, you can watch it on Youtube here and it's only half an hour long. I'm sure you can all take time away from Facebook to watch it.

4 comments:

  1. Loved this. We had it recorded on Betamax but it got lost and I thought I dreamt it as nobody had ever heard of it. It’s brilliant and I knew I had seen the characters on an Xmas video somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps it was far earlier than 1991-I was born in 84 and reckon this was about 88

    ReplyDelete
  3. my kids loved it been looking for it for ages !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the film as kid yet to find someone I know who's seen it though older or not still no one's seen it

    ReplyDelete

London Has Fallen

   London has Fallen: Team America but Shit So since Angel has Fallen has just been released in cinemas I thought I'd do a re...